Saturday, June 7, 2014

Book 1, signature 1 - slide show

Argh...

I have never felt so technically challenged....maybe that is the wrong word.
I have been trying to create a journal flip of my Copic catalog book - which turned out to be much more challenging then I thought. First, my camera had some feature on it that shuts it off if it deems nothing worth filming was happening (like really, who the heck is it to judge THAT!? just film dammit). Then when I watched it , it was not only super long but totally not what I wanted to share. After trying out many vices and many...tapings, I just got so FRUSTRATED that I gave up on it entirely for weeks (or what seems like weeks). After lots of ice cream and smoothies, I calmed down and realized I still wanted to share what I'd done because I am so darn proud of it and happy with the outcome, I resolved to the slideshows.
Hopefully, soon I will have all this sorted and have a proper video for the part 2 section.

I have to extend a great big thank you to 2 very special people who's Youtube channel I watch with my lids peeled for new videos and when I have the chance to, read their blog post; Jennibellie and Vicky P.

I have NO idea when I came across Jennibellie- it's been a couple of years now -what I do remember is watching all 40 of her tutorial videos in one sitting. It was so nice to know that someone else also thought that art can be created using what you have lying around and who firmly believed in repurposing and had a larger stash of STUFF that she was going to use to MAKE STUFF.
I must confess I made a couple of albums and bound some books  during that time of tutorial binging, although I haven't a clue what to do with them- or where they are right now.

ANYWAY.
There was a time and a place for everything and , I guess that just wasn't my time to start being artsy; but, it was a great thing to have binged on tutorials because, when I was ready, I knew exactly where to go to for an awesome tutorial on making journals with boxes and such. She really makes EVERYTHING she possibly could, which is fabulous resource for me, because I like to make everything if I can :D

But, I wasn't really convinced that I could do what they did - they being, these incredible people who just seem to poop out an idea LIVE on camera without any hesitation and with all sorts of supplies I didn't know existed. I wanted to make pretty spreads and stuff but I didn't have all the fancy tools to die-cut or blend or emboss; quite frankly, I wasn't sure if I was ready to make that kind of investment and buy these things yet.

However, I guess because it was my time to finally be artsy, I did make a couple of spreads before I was completely stuck. I am very happy with them - they incorporated the beautiful illustrations people did with Copic Markers into my journal and I was happy with the outcome, even if the camera kept failing to record.
But I really was just not sure if I can squeeze out an idea for a spread every time; then I bumped into this video , recommended by Youtube, of Vicky making her  Life video. She seems to have so much fun and it was one which used the least amount of tools, and I seemed to have some of them and I wanted to see if I can indeed, make a similar spread using only what I have. And I did! obviously, hers look so much better but, I'm surprised at how mine came out.

Shortly after, I made another spread which was based on I don't know who - I have NO idea where I saw it but I felt like the spread to do that day (And I really just wanted to keep the momentum going), and really wanted to see if I can get in the habit of doing this, or enjoy doing this...and honestly, it was pretty fun trying to figure out how I can make what I see without having to buy anything, but just with what I have... :) I made this one from this example I took a picture of with my then super outdated slider phone :P

I guess that is when I more or less became sold on the idea that I CAN  make spreads without a ton of supplies- with a little imagination you can use whatever you have on hand and make your very own masterpiece....what every one of these people have been saying, is really true :D
Here is a slideshow proving that (hopefully I will figure out how to get fancy on these soon, or try recording again). Hope you enjoy,




Love Always,
Shines.


No comments:

Post a Comment