Saturday, March 19, 2016

Freebie Friday: Easter Egg patterns

OKAY.
So this comes a little delayed, but I had some issues (surprise!) with the pattern and the the egg shape that made the posting a little late - which is more of a legitimate excuse than the "OMLanta, life ran away with me!". The Chick in Egg pattern by Happy berry , which you see to you right - is super easy to do. She is a champion in making adorable and easy patterns. To make life even easier, she made a 2 part Youtube video to help everyone in need how to make this incredibly adorable chick in egg. For those who want a printable and somewhat shorter version of the pattern, I made one for myself that I can share - just let me know - because you can make this in ONE sitting at much quicker time than the length of the two videos I feel like.... any way, that's just the spaz in me talking.. back to the chick.

IS it NOT the cutest little THING?! my heart bursts a little every time, and I mean EVERY time I open this little egg and see my little chick.

This is where my OCD started to kick in LARGE. THE EGG isn't looking like an EGG. I mean it's not an oval like a real egg. Having said that, that's just the limits of the craft - it's housing the chick so it will be a bit flat at the bottom and the top will be a bit pointy looking but to me, it looks like tip of a pencil vs. an oval.  This is probably the difference between an experienced crocheter and a non, because Happy berry's egg looks like an egg. :) so don't worry, yours will not look like a coney container...even if its a super cute coney container.  Also, she uses a flower shaped button, which is UBER ADORABLE and even though I live in a city with a "fashion district" with stores that just sell buttons in all SORTS of fanciness you can get lost in them... I had some plain buttons in the tropical colors I loved and in the measurements she specified (which is important to follow), and as you can see it works nicely also. its SO CUTE<3



Picture Pattern number 2 : Bonny Bunny Surprise by Trifle Treasures 
I cannot tell you how long I have been waiting to try this out (well actually maybe only a year since I only started crocheting at end of 2014). just look at how cute this is!
I think I almost instantly fell in LOVE with it when I saw it, frowned because I wasn't sure I can do it and grit my teeth determined to make it one day.  That day finally came, but I was not a happy camper when it did.

This was one of those easy to follow instructions which is a jewel, when it comes to free patterns and not much needed to be edited for printable version either(let me know if you want one). I really liked that the whole egg was made in one piece including the button hole -not two pieces sewn together - and it fits in one of those plastic containers you can get in the dollarstore? so you can have it as a prize during egg hunt!!! anyway.

I got caught up in the egg shape of the container - so I used some fabric stiffer to try to copy the shape of the plastic egg, it didn't work. it actually curled a little in the center, which made it look like a mouth :( I ended up flipping the egg inside out which sort of resolved the cone shape issue for me a little but worsened the "mouth" looking issue? so I couldn't win with that :( so I gave up on that one there....-__-

The bunnies are super adorable though ! and I made two different sizes (mostly because I had two different weight of yarn ) but at 3am when I was trying to finish this and sort this egg shape business, I wanted to represent the Father and the Son somehow with my bunnies -___- and that is why they are two different sizes.

Then there is the LOG. that didn't fit. when I started making it, I felt like it was too big and might not fit but I figured since it was hollow maybe it could wrap around the bunny and squeeze in; it would fit AND give the egg the bulk it needed, smart right?  NO. The bunnies took up all the room in the egg, and there was no room for the log. Having said that though if I made another smaller bunny I think the log could fit....I'm not swapping though, I like this Father and Son symbolism I got going LOL. It's STILL adorable and if its used for an egg hunt, the kid that finds it will have tons more fun with different sizes of bunny vs. bunnies and log I think.


That's all for now, 
keep on Hookin',
Love Always,
Shines.

No comments:

Post a Comment