Saturday, June 10, 2017

Freebie pattern: JiJi the cat from Kiki's Delivery Service

WELL.
It has been a long time, almost a year since I wrote down anything....you'd think I planned it this way, the date of last post is pretty close to this one lol.
Anyway.
Life was a crazy roller coaster ride for last few months; it was certainly emotional, and had I enough wit,I would have remembered to rant here, but I didn't. The good thing is the learning curve was pretty steep and I had to take actions (some drastic) to try to improve the sticky situation I was in , and to relieve some stress I was making a LOT of things. I also watched a LOT of movies and TV shows I meant to but didn't have time for until now; in some ways, my life hit rock bottom, just so I can catch up with the things I loved .

So THIS movie, is probably considered a CLASSIC Ghibli studio movie - I love the character design but until this past week I did NOT see this movie (which bought the shock of my fellow animation fan who immediately disqualified me as a Ghibli fan or animation fan for that matter LMAO).

And though she was kidding, I realized I didn't watch a lot of classsic animation, so I'm going to be watching them in the upcoming days, at least from Studio Ghibli, whom I keep confessing my love for.  I actually watched a couple more of older Ghibli studio movie, "Whispers of the heart and When Marnie was There. I loved how accurately Whispers of the Heart captured daily life in Japan eons ago - the focus was on capturing time instead of fantasized characters we have these days. The second movie was very heavy and sad and I cried. Then, even though the ending left me completely hanging and unsatisfied , I went back to watch Kiki's Delivery service for the second time , in case I missed the ending somehow ( I didn't apparently). After, because I am crazy and was dead in love with the little black cat Jiji, I watched it the 3rd time while making this doll. Jiji is full of personality - sarcastic ,playful and bashful - a lot like my own little black cat, and it totally make me wish that my cat could talk to me!

I will say this turned out much better than I expected considering this was made in the wee hours in the morning. I am still surprised that I didn't stab myself while needlefelting the ears and the eyes.

To make this little guy, I used worsted weight Redheart Supersaver yarn with a 3.5mm(E) sized hook. The little nose is some baby pink baby yarn I had laying around since I learned the different size of hooks. The pattern itself is pretty straight forward, although I was a LITTLE BIT confused when I made the body part because of the shape (which made sense after) and I skpped out on the paws because I thought it made it... unnecessarily bulky looking? I mean when I see my cat sit this way, especially in the dark, I can't tell where his paws are; I see his tail ,body, head and his giant ears....so that's my interpretation of it.

For this pattern in other languages, click the picture
 The amazing lady who designed Jiji The Cat pattern (probably Angie is her name) - you can get my downloaded copy from the link above or  visit her Ravelery site by clicking the photo below (that's her version of the cat) where she has the pattern available in multiple languages such as Russian, Spanish, French and Dutch.

No comments:

Post a Comment