Saturday, April 26, 2014

Last one I promise; The Fallen.


more of her awesome stuff here
 I am going through some of my work last year trying to tie-up lose ends (by which I mean finally finish whatever it is I started so I can move along) I am finding things I am particularly fond of that I CAN'T BELIEVE wasn't shared here -one of which are these drawings from that book I keep mentioning, "How to draw fantasy characters."

This one, I am PARTICULARLY  fond of because it HAD no instructions. and while mine doesn't measure up quite up to her amazing works (like - I love everything  about this piece - the pose, the colours, the expression and obviously, the background).

Of course, because I love it so much, it came with NO instructions and I cannot tell you how many photocopies were made trying to apply what I had learned in the previous pages (I think I drew every single character in this book) and really DIGEST what I had learned. I used up an entire Steadler eraser before I was finally able to produce something half way decent.

This is a 4" x 6" no named cardstock I got at the dollarstore a loooooong time ago when I was obsessively making albums with( I still have them, I have no idea what to do with them but eventually I am sure I will use them).

 It was the first thing I grabbed when the light bulb went off in my head and it is certainly the only one that turned out much better than I expected.

I used a "skin tone" Copic Marker set for the skin and the the rest is in crayola markers. Completely amazed at my own work and that this was doable with good ol' crayola markers. The only bummer is that with each layer of Crayola, the paper became visibly furry and damaged due to the water-soluable nature of Crayola markers.

Mine has no wings. WHY? because I just could NOT get them in perspective. To be honest, I'm not entirely happy with the way the back look but I dared not touch it, it is as good as it is every going to get. I wish mine had wings, although I have NO IDEA how I would have coloured them with markers and I think that may have been a twinkle of a thought in my mind, which made the 'no wing' idea easier to accept.

As the fairy had no wings though, I felt like mine lost a bit of magic - like she did wrong and was banned from the fairy world - the "fallen" fairy - so I called this piece, "FALLEN" (dramatic, no?).


Quite some time after, I found an old version of Grimms' tales I never knew I owned and I tried to redo this piece again, this time with a bit more context. Some of the lyrics from the song "Happy ending" by Mika and a quote from the movie, "EVER AFTER."

Clearly, I lost some technique or at very least, sense of proportion...super long arms, super short legs....it looks to me, and part of one leg disappears into the void.

I can't even explain what happened to her face.

I love the gradiation of colours - Promarkers and Copic Markers are incredible and definitely worth the investment if this is something you enjoy- but are good at. Although I think the stem that she's sitting on is, Crayola markers. :D

Anyhoo.
I hope you liked :)

Love Always,
Shyni


No comments:

Post a Comment