Friday, November 27, 2015

Freebie Friday: keeping it warm

So last weekend I made my first fingerless gloves...which I think was just about the most perfect timing because this past week is definitely calling for some fingerless gloves as Old Man Winter is starting to wake up very slowly T_T. It really isn't fair. We were at a decent weather - 16c -so that I can continue my denial of oncoming winter season and sport a nice windbreaker and hoodie with a light scarf.  Then, Santa Claus parade happened and suddenly the temperature sank into minus without warning; and not slowly edge into it, but really sank its teeth into it and started the week off from -10c. URGH so rude and inconsiderate. Thankfully, my fingerless gloves were keeping my little hands toasty.
This pattern is super simple - I got brave and tried to modify it because certain parts didn't make sense but take it from me, the pattern is well written and worth following exactly.  The original is made with multi-colored yarn and I had thought it was just a regular crocheted look -but its got the "vertical knitted" look (as I call it) that you get from BLO stitches (which I love) and you can see it when you use a single colored yarn.
This ruffled edged glove  pattern by Diva Stitches is super easy to follow and only requires one skein (actually I think 1/2 makes a pair).  She's got some really cute earring designs that I definitely will be trying out when sunshine season approaches. Most of her projects are one skein or less which is right up my alley so I will definitely be coming back to her site for more!
Remember that ridiculously teeny weeny baby- size teapot?
Well. it posed more challenges than I thought it would. First it didn't have a little topper on its lid which made some designs a little more challenging to make for it as it used the little topper as a stopper. My "client" was adamant about simplicity - and we had such a different definition of simplicity (I was thinking rose topped cozy and she was thinking drawstring bag with next to no embellishments and single color at most).

We finally narrowed it down to a scalloped cozy or a raspberry cozy - I really liked the raspberry (two colors and who doesn't love puffy stitches) and she was really keen on the scallop finish.  I think the universe feel that she should get the design that she wants because the raspberry design was nowhere to be found but I had a wonderful design in my stash of scallop/scale stitch tea cozy by Corchetroo .

THIS stitch is really FUN but confusing in the beginning and I did have to reference a few Youtube videos. This tutorial by Moogly (photo and video) was what I found to be most helpful.

 here is what mine looks like - it took about 1/2 a skein. It is by far the cutest thing I made, I totally see myself doing this stitch for everything now lol!!

But the pot measures about 4.5" and the cosy is only 5.5"x 5.5" .....its like my teapot gave birth to it. Loook at how small it iscompared to my giant tea mug!!! ridiculous. But absolutely adorable to just look at! my customer was also super happy with the result so, that was a plus as well.




Hope you like - 'till next time,

Love always,
Shines


No comments:

Post a Comment